Thursday, June 7, 2007

Long Overdue

This post is long overdue, not the baby. Don't worry, we have some time yet....we're only about 8 weeks along (technically, we will be 8 weeks this Saturday) .

However I've been meaning to create a baby blog for some time now, and have just been far too exhausted and/or lazy to do so yet...but hey, I'm building a baby here...that's hard work you know! I actually did write one post about finding out we were prego - its oh-so-usefully sitting at home in a file on my computer awaiting judgement day or perhaps a decent stolen wifi connection, and its any one's call as to which of those will happen first. In the meantime, I've decided to plunge right in, in my hodge podge kamikaze style, and inundate you with all sorts of details and observations you probably won't want to hear, but things that I'd very much like to record so that one day they can be used to embarrass the teenage version of our wonderful little blessing.

Pregnancy so far...

My first thought was that pregnancy is like a bladder infection, because you just have to pee all the time. I might as well set up camp in the bathroom, complete with a little stove and pillow and sleeping bag for all the time I spend in there. And our bathroom is a teeny tiny refashioned hallway that you have to enter and walk through sideways...not an ideal place to suddenly be spending the majority of my time.

Now, I have amended the earlier analysis to say that pregnancy is actually like having mono (which I have had a whopping 3 times, so I'm pretty familiar with it). The exhaustion is that complete and all encompassing. For those who have never had mono, imagine you've been run over flat by a herd of stampeding elephants. Now imagine that one is sitting on your entire body and not planning on moving, oh, for another month or so. Yup, that should just about do it.

Luckily, the whole nausea thing isn't all that bad thus far. I mean, don't get me wrong, I've had my share of feeling like rats are clawing the inside of my stomach, but so far it hasn't interfered all that much with daily life and I've really only vomited once and then I was in a feverish hell of strep throat torture so I'm not sure that counts. Now I must go knock on wood and throw salt over my shoulder and not walk under any ladders just because I think I just tempted fate a whole lot by even writing this paragraph. If you don't hear from me for a while, you'll know why.

The rest is pretty standard stuff - sensitive breasts (and by sensitive I mean one night the Wild Boar was cuddling me and accidentally put his hand on my breast and I screamed like a woman being attacked by ferocious hyenas. you know, just slightly tender...), insane appetite, food aversions for unhealthy things like orange juice, oranges, and fish (my body is protecting me from these harmful products, clearly), perhaps a little moodiness (and by moodiness I mean bursting into tears if I breathe), you know...standard stuff. Also, I seemed to have developed what the Boar refers to as my pregnant superpower...that is the amazing ability to smell anything and everything within a 3 state radius, and generally become nauseated by it. While this superpower can be fun when accurately pinpointing exactly what your partner drank when he went out after work, its not so ideal when you live in New York City and people urinate in the street on a somewhat regular basis. Plus its summer, and that means the garbage on the street gets to cook all day long long in one gigantic smelly crock-pot of sewage. Yummy! What endless fun!

Don't even ask about the gas...trust me, you don't want to know...

And now, despite wanting to write much more, I must go crawl under my desk and nap while sobbing profusely, because you see, there's an elephant sitting on my entire body so I'm exhausted, and really, the office stinks..

13 comments:

mim said...

Wow! Easy enough to remember to refer to the LFM as that. Because...it's all so WOW! Looking forward to the next installment.

Mica said...

This blog is a great idea! start embarassing the kid early! kidding - no really, this baby blog is super cute.

Anonymous said...

Love it! Those of us who don't plan to dive into the pool get to hear what the water's like anyway! So excited for you both!! :)

Anonymous said...

ah yes, the wonderful path of pregnancy that we've embarqued on is a beautiful one. If you look outside my window you can see early wake-up calls for immidiate runs for delicious treats that the mother-to-be has awaken to and calls for, and if you look outside the mommy's window you can see.......umm.....oh my...... WoW, all that, huh?...Ok, you win; what ever you need I will make posible!! Are you hungry?, Do you need anything?, How are you feeling?, should I leave you alone for a bit?, Am I thinking too loud?...

Roxanne said...

Yeah! Glad to hear that everything is good. Your tummy looks cute!

Am I allowed to link to this blog or is it a secret blog?

Le Synge Bleu said...

vix, you can link to it if you like, but keep in mind that we haven't gone totally public with the pregnancy yet, so perhaps waiting a few more weeks would be best.

Lady Bonds said...

Holy poo-dang, lady! Your tummy looks mighty fine for having an extra person inside. Maybe if I get pregnant my tummy would shrink to that size...

What do you suppose the baby's favorite color is going to be? Like if Lady Bonds happened to find some sort of bite-sized, Funky-Monkey, Paris-related item before she heads back state-side? Any special requests?

laura said...

holy ****! (edited for adult content because of the unsullied embryo in the area!

i am so happy for you! i had no idea~ the whole i-have-a-secret post went right over my head. but you, too, will become oblivious when the LFM arrives and you suffer from chronic sleep deprivation - which will of course be totally worthwhile. much joy coming your way, and a little crappy advice: sucking tangerine altoids, which are easier to carry in one's bag than popsicles, sometimes helped me quell the urge to purge, and cold root beer sometimes at least delayed the inevitable.

Lady Bonds said...

Happy 8 weeks!

shea said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Noah said...

Ooh let's hope "The LFM" sticks as a nickname well into your offspring's adulthood.

Le Synge Bleu said...

lady bonds, i would absolutely LOVE a bar or two of carte d'or chocolate with hazelnuts. i've been so totally craving it since i had one in march. just the thought is now making me go into convulsions of ecstasy and longing. i would also love some stinky cheese but its a no can do because its not pasturized. and yes, the stinky french cheese is even harder to give up than alcohol.

Le Synge Bleu said...

sorry lady bonds, i mean cote d'or. lait et noisette, s'il te plait. je t'embrasse bien bien fort et merci!